Akemi
A Japanese name meaning bright and beautiful; red beauty
Most children of mixed Japanese heritage have both an English name and Japanese name. Except me.
(Probably because my Asian mother is extremely white-washed and my father is as
haole (white/foreigner) as they come) It only dawned on me in high school that I didn't have a Japanese name. So I asked my mom "why" and she simply said, "I don't know..." (typical). So as an afterthought she gave me the name Akemi after a girl in her ballet class that she took when she was a child.
Little did she know the meaning of Akemi at the time was bright and beautiful. Not that I think I am exceptionally bright or beautiful, I just think it's just a pleasant and optimistic meaning to one's name. Like something you try to live up to or attain throughout your life, that as a person named Akemi, you have become
both bright and beautiful. Or at least I hope to be that...one day. But coincidentally, the color red looks amazing on me!

No comments:
Post a Comment